Here are the technical aspects that will help you set up your custom domain.
Please note: To set up a custom domain you will need the following:
- Access to your DNS provider - where you bought your domain name (eg. GoDaddy)
- Generate and purchase an SSL certificate - this process can be done by someone in your Tech Team or IT dept. Here are the steps you need to get your SSL ready. You can share the link with your Tech team if you's like.
- You need to be the Account Owner in order to access domain settings.
Let's start with Setting up your DNS records:
When you first open your community, we make your groups available through an Mobilize domain by default. If you’d prefer to make your content available through your own domain, you can set up a custom domain under:
Community settings --> General tab --> Connect your domain.
How to setup your custom domain:
- Let's say you have opened a community on Mobilize and its address is: mynetwork.mobilize.io
- Now you would like to connect your own domain to this community.
For Example: lets assume that mynetwork.com is your domain, and you want your community address to change from: mynetwork.mobilize.io to community.mynetwork.com
- Log in to your domain registrar (this is where you bought your domain eg. GoDaddy) and find the advanced domain settings area or the area where you manage your domain’s DNS records.
- In the DNS settings area (or Zone File), create a new CNAME record, and put your domain (in our example it would be community.mynetwork.com) in the name field. Next, add mynetwork.custom-domain.mobilize.io to the value field (remember that you need to switch "mynetwork" to your own domain) - see example below:
5. Enter the domain name in the Hostname field of the Custom Domain Settings page and click the "Save" button.
6. It will then take up to 72 hours for the change to fully take place
Now let's Set up the SSL certificate
For this part we advise that you use your Tech team or IT department. You can share this link with them for the full instructions.
- Acquire SSL certificate
- Generate private key
- Enter your subdomain, Private key and certificate on mobilize custom domain setup form.
FYI: Your mobilize groups might not be available for up-to 30 minutes while we create your custom domain.
If you're still having some difficulties setting up your custom domain, no worries! Drop us a line and let's hop on a call together to figure it all out.